Monday, April 5, 2010

ahhh, the life of a flight attendant

Another morning of momentary confusion about where I am. It's not a long moment but a disconcerting one. An inoperable air conditioner and closed window does nothing to disguise the heavy traffic noise from the highway running practically through our hotel, where semi trailers are competing with the wailing infant in a room down the hall for my early morning listening pleasure.

Ahhhhh, the life of a flight attendant. If you have us (flight attendants in general) categorized into glamorous, cocktail sipping party girls, revise! For example, I am enjoying my breakfast while I write this, Red River cereal cooked overnight in my mini crock pot wearing my bathing suit in case the urge to workout becomes unbearable. I've been flying for four years and although I love it, sometimes it is even less glamorous than we expect. Last night for example, we took over a plane in YYC(that's Calgary) where someone had been having a very bad day vomiting all the way up the aisle to the lav. Ahhhh, the life......
One night when I first started, I was hoarding (meaning: saving for later) a piece of filet mignon I had barbequed at home before the pairing began to savor with some roasted veggies I had planned to heat up in the microwave the hotel provided for our comfort. As it happened, and sometimes still happens, our day went sideways and turned into a fourteen, maybe fifteen hour work day. Thank God for memory loss. To top things off the hotel shuttle was not there when we arrived or any time soon. Ask anyone who knows me and they will quickly tell you how they are aware that there is a point where food must go into my body or serious grouchiness is going to happen. This day, being a newbie at my job, I was self regulating and realized I had reached the grumpiness pinnacle, and didn't wish to step over so rather than enjoying my well planned treat in the comfort and privacy of my hotel room, here I was standing on the curb at the Edmonton airport at 11:30 at night eating cold filet mignon out of a baggie. Ahhhh, the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment